- Core - JSession SSL Session Disclosure
- Project: Joomla!
- SubProject: framework
- Severity: Low
- Versions: 1.5.8 and all previous 1.5 releases
- Exploit type: Session Hijacking/
- Reported Date: 2008-November-20
- Fixed Date: 2009-January-9
When running a site under SSL ONLY (the entire site is forced to be under ssl), Joomla! does not set the SSL flag on the cookie. This can allow someone monitoring the network to find the cookie related to the session. Please note that all data is still transferred securely.
1.5.8 and lower installs which are run with SSL only (no non-ssl access).
Upgrade to latest Joomla! version (1.5.9 or newer), and set force_ssl in global configuration. Alternatively, the php setting session.secure_cookie can be set in .htaccess or php.ini. Joomla! (all versions) will respect this setting.
Reported By Hanno Boeck
The JSST at the Joomla! Security Center.