Following are the meeting notes from the Production Leadership Team meeting held in April 2013. 

Meeting Details

Meeting held via Skype on 5 April, 9 pm UTC.

Attendees: Andrew Eddie, Chris Davenport, David Hurley (liaison), Javier Gomez, Mark Dexter, Michael Babker, Nick Savov, Ron Severdia, Tom Hutchison 

Unable to attend due to software malfunction: Andrea Tarr

Framework Report

  1. Old Platform mailing list shut down. Framework update published on
  2. Old Platform repo should be considered soft-frozen (not accepting any new pull requests or issues); just need some time to clean up the last open PR’s.  Bug fixes are being applied directly to the CMS repo.
  3. Framework update published on
  4. Still quite a few things to clean up to get to Framework 1.0 - they are generally the harder tasks that need a more experienced eye

Documentation Report

  1. Working on the list at
  2. Google search has been integrated
  3. Sitemap has been implemented
  4. Help Screens are improving
  5. Need to spread the word about it to get help
  6. Possibly try to internationalise it in the near future

Bug Squad Report

  1. Going well.  Working on 3.1’s release primarily.
  2. 3.1 is scheduled for release on April 15th, 2013
  3. We’ve had a lot of new volunteers recently, quite a few of which are very active.
  4. Going to try to do a business PBF on a Friday sometime after 3.1 and before 3.2

GSoC (Google Summer of Code) 2013

  1. Proposal has been sent to Google. We’ll find out Monday if we’re accepted.  (Note: we have since found out that we are accepted.  Congrats Joomla!)
  2. List of ideas at:
  3. If we’re accepted on Monday, we’ll start spreading the word heavily.

Tracker Update

  1. Code progress slowed as focus for 3.1 picked up
  2. The team will be devoting more time to the tracker and a bit less towards the CMS to get things back on track post-3.1.0
  3. Will be working on converting the code from Platform based to Framework based, may help answer some questions for the CMS’s adoption later on
  4. Displayed at J!Day Boston, reactions were positive to what’s been completed thus far
  5. JBS is also attempting to update JoomlaCode to the latest version

Unit Testing for CMS working Group

  1. Convert CMS to committing against staging branch versus master for 3.x series
  2. Have a transitional period for current open PRs
  3. Implement the Pull Tester for the CMS (similar to Platform process)
  4. Investigate ways to improve sniff rules for layouts due to “non-standard” syntax

Web Services Working Group

  1. Proof of concept code is available at
  2. Chris Davenport is starting a Kickstarter Project to fund his development of Web Services.  We thought it was fine to fund the development of Web Services via a Kickstarter project (which is in keeping with our already established policy of allowing of paid development hours by businesses and individuals).

UX Team

  1. Seth Warburton is the new UX Team Leader
  2. UX work will be done independently and then submitted via the regular JBS process

General Business

  1. Mootools to jQuery Conversion: there’s a small group of people are interested in working on the install app.  If that goes well, a working group might be started
  2. Proposal of starting an unofficial GitHub Organization in Spanish: due to language barriers, the group will do their work in Spanish, and then the English-speakers in the group will pull in the work into the main Joomla repository in GitHub.
  3. Update on Pre-upgrade Check Project:  going well.  Alpha1 was just released.  All the needed code is basically done.  If all goes well, we’ll likely merge soon after 2.5.10’s release in preparation for 2.5.11
  4. Due to time constraints, the meeting was adjourned in favor of meeting in two-weeks time to finish the second half of the agenda.

Next Meeting

Meeting schedule for the rest of the year:

  • 19 April
  • 3 May
  • J&B in June
  • 2 August
  • 6 September
  • 4 October
  • 1 November

Meeting closed around 11:00 pm UTC.